Sooo . . . I haven’t worn deodorant in over two months. We’ll start with that . . .
One of my hobbies for a few years has been to make natural health and beauty products to minimize chemicals being used on the body. At one point, I tried to rid myself of using ANYTHING that had chemicals in it because I was on a 100% natural/organic kick, but I’ve grown to accept that this small part of my life is not an all or nothing thing. For example, I will always TRY to use products that have a minimal chemical impact, but I am ok with dousing myself in my favorite perfume while using homemade dry shampoo that day.
I’ve worn deodorant/antiperspirant for as long as I can remember. I was never one of those girls who just “didn’t sweat”. I’ve tried lots of natural deodorant as well as the strongest available regular ones. None of them actually worked but then again I’m not sure what working meant? No smell? No sweat? Both? … Either or seemed impossible and I pretty much accepted that if I sweat without body odor, then that’s what working is for me.
One day mindlessly scrolling through pinterest, I found a simple recipe for deodorant using ingredients I already had, so I whipped up a batch and started using it right away.
- I made it too thick with the baking soda. So much so that it irritated my skin after daily use for a week.
- You sweat a lot the first week, but then it magically subsides. Almost as if chemical deodorant MAKES you sweat more so you need it more. I know this is true when people stop using shampoo after a while, their oil glands stop producing so much oil. Hmmm
- I made such a tiny amount and it lasted a long time.
- I enjoyed the smell of the coconut oil and essential oil blend I put in.
Once I ran out, I decided to keep giving it a try but doing a little more research about the right combinations. I got so excited to make it again until I realized I ran out of baking soda. I made the executive decision to make it WITHOUT it hoping that would ease the irritation a bit.
- NO, just no . . .
- Baking soda is DEFINITELY needed in the product. It actually does prevent odor like it says and I am sorry to everyone who graced my presence for those 2 days.
- Too oily and gets on clothing
I wasn’t giving up so I got a hold of some baking soda and finally found the right formula!
- Blend is smooth enough to not cause irritation but still pasty enough to stay on and not stain clothes
- Keeps odor in check the whole day (even through hikes!)
- Still mild sweating but I wont be able to escape that.
- Packaged up in a cute container would be great as gifts for friends that won’t be offended!
- IM IN! I’m going to keep using this and see how it works out long term
This little project fueled my creative fire to experiment with more stuff. I even made a container of baby wipes/make-up remover wipes which seem to be a hit!