I’ve been making smoothies and protein shakes for AGES! In fact, I always looked forward to them back in my body building days and especially now when they are packed with nutrients. How else (besides juicing) can you literally pack a salad into something you can gulp down that doesn’t even really taste like greens!?
Power Green Smoothie
- Base: 1 1/4 unsweetened vanilla soy milk (any milk will do), a handful of ice 5-8 cubes
- 1 tbsp almond butter (or any nut butter)
- 1/2 scoop Vega Chocolate protein powder (or protein powder of your choice)
- 1 tbsp chia seed
- 1 scoop wheatgrass powder
- 4 WHOLE CUPS of power greens (spinach, kale, baby kale, chard, a mix of all etc.)
- I am blessed to have a Vitamix in my life (finally) so everything comes out pretty smooth. If you do not have a high speed blender, add milk and ice FIRST and then everything else. Greens go last. Pulse your blender a few times to get things moving then slowly up the speed until its a good consistency.
- Wheatgrass powder is completely optional. I do love me a good greens powder but will probably switch back to Amazing Grass after this container is pau.
- For a more creamy consistency, use half of a slightly under ripe banana. It will sweeten it a bit more naturally. I personally am watching my sugar intake and dont mind a bit more of a less thick smoothie.
- I use a LOT of chia. If your body is unfamiliar with too much fiber I would use half that. I personally count on it to make sure everything is moving toxins out my body quite well. I had lots of success doing this on my last 5 Day Juice Cleanse.
- I topped this particular smoothie with goji berries and cacao nibs for the photo . . . it was also delicious to crunch on.
Because lets face it, in the world of google + imagination, we change recipes based on our taste preferences, what we have on hand and what health options work best for us.
Dinner last night sticking to this weeks Meal Plan
Mini Turkey Meatloaf + Sauteed Greens
- Take a pound of ground turkey and add one egg, 1/4 diced onion, 1/4 diced red pepper, salt, pepper and any seasonings you choose. I chose Italian spices and some oregano.
- Mix with your hands until combined like a meatball but shape it into a loaf shape.
- Top with 2 tbsp ketchup and bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes
- Pick bite sized leaves off of a head of kale, discard stems, add a handful of spinach and wash thoroughly.
- Heat up a tbsp olive oil in a large pan. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and sautee until cooked. I always slightly UNDER cook greens to try and maintain more nutrients.
Place sliced meatloaf atop greens and sprinkle with nutritional yeast.
- Serves 2
- I left breadcrumbs out of the meatloaf because I eat Gluten Free, read all about it below . . .
- My First Journey into Gluten Free Living + Why – *top 10 post!
- Benefits of Being Gluten Free after Cutting it out for 23 days
- That time I started eating Gluten Again and My Body Hated Me