a lot of people have this pre-conceived notion that im spending most of my time on a beautiful beach with a mai tai and recovering hang overs with freshly hacked coconut water. don’t get me wrong I am fucking lucky to be living here, but what people don’t realize is that hawaii is just like life on the mainland, just with a much more beautiful backdrop.
lanikai is my frrravrite
there is still traffic, bills to pay, jobs to work, blue stop signs and street names I STILL have trouble pronouncing. ive had a lot of fun here, but sometimes I feel like im not even LIVING here. since ive landed, ive felt this clenching feeling. sometimes its stronger than other times but basically, it’s a protection mechanism. its hard for me to relax and go do the things that this island has to offer when you are constantly working and/or worrying about the future. because of this feeling, ive been very successful in my work but damnit . . . ive paid my dues enough to feel like I deserve to play a bit.
actually, I never needed to ‘pay dues’ in order to deserve to play . . . nobody does! just by being a human being in this world you . . . yes YOU deserve to have fun and actually live life.
one of the biggest things I want to accomplish is being able to have a rich life outside my work. ive read enough blog posts and experienced enough situations to know that being able to let loose and not feel guilty is the key to a successful presence in this world.
so ima’ play!
yea, sounds wrong right? the girl starting her business in one of the most remote places of the world is going to make sure she has fun in the process. I want to BE the example of the life im going to help teach others how to live and that’s where it all starts. with me.
I officially have a little over 3 weeks until I start my new temporary position at a raw foods retreat home and in that time of course I will be working my ass off, but ill also be playing weird.
work hard, play weird.
that’s my motto from now on. I choose the word weird because I think it reflects the uniqueness in a person in a light hearted joking matter. to me it means, do the things that you truly enjoy without guilt. for instance, I love going to gay asian karaoke bars just as much as I love sitting at home with netflix and a 6 pack of sierra nevada.
so, this means you will not only get business updates, but also play updates too.
today I . . .
- slept in! yes, sleeping in means I got up close to 8am. im definitely a morning person but this felt pretty good.
- (will be) meeting a friend at the airport who is moving to the island. the catch? ive never met her before. what brought us together was . . . search engine optimization. a while back, I did a post about the things I miss from home. trader joe’s ranked up there with family. after I wrote the post I plugged in some keywords about hawaii not having a trader joes so that when people were wondering, they would hopefully hit my post. sure enough, she was trying to scope out the tjs situation out here and found that we both had the ‘moving to hawaii’ thing in common. we talked a lot through fb and text for a few months while I rambled about my dating life and job situation and also talked about the challenges faced with moving here. the long countdown ends today where ill be picking her up from the airport. oh, and she also shipped some sunbutter and trail mix that ive been craving, score! little does she know shes getting leid the second she sees me. (that never gets old)
-(will be) possibly be having dinner cooked FOR ME for once by a special friend. so excited that I barely care if its edible! but, that’s mostly because ill be bringing back up beer . . . when in doubt, right?
- (will be) finishing $100 startup. my goal was to get it read by the end of july so that I can fully start my IE course certification in august. at this point, I only have an hour left before I have to shower so I doubt ill get it done but im not worried.
- – -
looks like today will be more play than work! . . . s’alll good mang!
love and mahalos!
in 3 days it will offically be 8 months since I jetted off to hawaii with 1 suitcase and no job. im incredibly grateful for all my experiences since and am eager to start making experiences on my own terms.
the retreat job I held is currently over for many reasons beyond my control but for the most part IM over IT. ive met some wonderful people and have really learned and grown as a chef and a person. one of the blinding lessons ive learned was that im sick of having a job SAVE me. im sick of working for someone else under someone else’s rules. the safety and security of working under a company or boss is so unappealing and that is something I NEVER thought I would say. at this point in my life, the safe road will only be traveled for emergency detours . . .
so where does that leave me?
everything happens for a reason, so it was no mistake that a month ago I had a ‘check craigslist’ urge. there was an job up for a juicing assistant that was more money and less hours. naturally, I applied even while I was still employed. I heard back from the woman who is a raw foods enthusiast and acupuncturist. when I emailed her back answering the list of questions she asked, I decided to stand up for myself and make it clear that I would only take the job with sundays off and the ability to work around my concert catering schedule. some time went by where there was no communication so I sent a few gently nudging emails. when I finally heard back, she told me that out of 45 people that applied I was out of the 5 chosen for an interview. and so, I went to her house and was completely amazed at the fact that she had every damn local fruit and vegetable growing in her garden as well as tons of foods being fermented and sprouted. . . . in other words, this chick is serious. I was completely authentic and showed her how I worked with the juicer and other equipment and was told that the job would be offered to myself or another woman with the same background as myself.
usually, I would worry. usually, I would question if I were ‘good enough’ but this time things were different. I told her that I appreciated the interview and that whatever decision she ends up making will be the right one . . . even if it isnt me. I actually believed this for once. today is monday and she told me id find out on tuesday which is tomorrow.
this morning I went through my expenses and figured out that I had exactly 2 months of bills covered in case shit hit the fan. the plan was to invest as much sweat equity into my own business whether or not I got the job. and if I didn’t get it, I would find something to keep me afloat in the meantime. just as I was writing this paragraph she called me early to tell me that I got it.
thank you, universe.
the job is for 3 months which is PERFECT. not only will I be learning some amazing new things about the power of food but ill be able to pay my bills, cover some business expenses and have some left over for food, gas, beer and fun . . . yes, beer ranks up with these.
the whole point of this post is to document the process of the things im doing to get myself running. I think I will be motivating for me and will also let those who read how much work/value is going in to the pursuit of pursuing a passion and making a living from it.
today I . . .
- went over my finances so I could see the big picture of how the next few months were going to be and how I would handle a budget
- received my course study information and test for my intuitive eating councelor certification. I plan to be officially certified by september first if not earlier and will be looking for a client at no charge in exchange for a testimonial soon. (if you are interested, please send an email to email@example.com)
- submitted my paperwork for a business licence. um, this is HUGE. in 10 days I will officially have started a business in hawaii . . wtf!?
- continued to read the F out of $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau . . . big fan! lots of amazing info. must do a review in the future.
and now I am off to play for a few hours with some awesome people.
love and mahalos!
outside my door one afternoon